The story of losing Dickie Cross in big surf at Sunset Beach in Hawaii in 1943

As told by Woody Brown
Legendary Surfers .com

special thanks to
for this interview

This is an account of the death of big wave hawaiian pioneer Dickie Cross, when Woody Brown and Dickie Cross paddled out at big Sunset in 1943, as told by survivor Woody Brown.

“In the early ’40s, Woody married his second wife Rachel, an Hawaiian whom some of the surfers got to calling “Ma” Brown. They lived together and raised two kids above the Waikiki Tavern, the epicenter of island surf culture and craziness. Not only were the Hot Curl crew building boards and experimenting with design, but they were also exploring. Woody joined Wally Froiseth, John Kelly, Fran Heath, Rus Takaki, and younger surfers like George Downing and Rabbit Kekai to begin exploring winter surf on the north shore of O’ahu.

“Nobody went to the North Shore,” Woody told me. “We were the first ones to go there. Wally and John Kelly told me, they said, ‘Oh, there at [what’s now Sunset Beach], there’s big waves over there.'”

On December 22, 1943, Woody and a young friend named Dickie Cross paddled out at Sunset on a rising swell. Up to this time, Sunset had rarely been ridden and it was only Woody’s third or fourth time surfing the North Shore. “My friend and I,” Woody related to me, “we thought, ‘Oh well, it’s winter time.’ There’s no surf in Waikiki at all, see. So, we got bored. You know how surfers get. ‘Oh, let’s go over there and try over there.’ That’s how we got over there and got caught, because the waves were 20 feet.

“Well, that wasn’t too bad, because there was a channel going out, see. The only thing is, when I looked from the shore, I could see the water dancing in the channel, eh? I thought, ‘Uh, oh. Boy, there must be a strong current there, cuz the waves are piling in the bay from both sides,’ causing this narrow channel going out. Then, it opened up. So, we thought, ‘Gee, well let’s just go sit in the channel a little ways from the beach and see how strong the current is. If it’s not too strong, we can paddle back in, then: no worry, eh?’

“So, we did that. We went out. We sat in the channel and it wasn’t too bad. We could paddle in any time. ‘So, OK.’ There were 20 foot waves breaking on each side. We went out to catch these waves and slide toward the channel. The only trouble was, the surf was on the way up. We didn’t know that. It was the biggest surf they’d had in years and years, see, and it was on the way up. Twenty feet was the smallest it was gonna get, but we didn’t know! I mean, it looked good!”

“So, we got caught out there! It kept getting bigger and bigger and, finally, we were sitting in this deep hole where the surf was breaking on two sides and coming into the channel. The channel opened up into this big deep area where we were and the surf would break on two sides and we were trying to catch ’em.

“Then, all of a sudden, way outside in the blue water, a half mile out from where we were — and we were out a half mile from shore — way out in the blue water this tremendous wave came all the way down the coast, from one end to the other. It feathered and broke out there! We thought, ‘Oh boy, so long, pal. This is the end.’ But, we were sitting in this deep hole and so we watched these things come in. The white water was rolling, oh, what — 20 feet of white water, eh? Rolling in and just before it got to us, it hit this deep hole and the white water just backed-up. The huge swell came through, but didn’t break. Oh, boy! Scared the hell out of us! Well, there was a set of about 5 or 6 waves like that. So, after the set went by, we said, ‘Hey, let’s get the hell inside. What are we doing out here? This is no place to be! Let’s get in!'”

“So, we tried to paddle in, eh?” Woody made paddling gestures. “As we came in to this channel, it got narrow in there. We’re paddling and paddling and finally we stopped for a minute to rest and my friend says, ‘Woody, you know where we are, don’t’cha?’ I thought about it and, oh, wow, we hadn’t moved one damn foot. All that paddling and we were right where we were before we started paddling. We couldn’t get in.”

“You have to be very careful of these channels. When the waves get big, the rip current just pours out of there, out of the bay. You can’t get in. Anyway, we didn’t know what to do,” Woody admitted. “So, finally, we decided, ‘Well, there was only one thing to do. We gotta wait until that huge set goes by’ — which is only about every 10 minutes — ‘then, we’ll paddle like hell to get outside of ’em and then paddle down the coast and come in at Waimea.’ When we went by Waimea before we went out, it was only 20 feet. The whole bay was open, right? It was just breaking on the point, more or less. So, we feel, well, we’ll come-in over there; big beach break, there.”

“The only trouble was, it didn’t work that way. By the time we got there, it kept getting bigger and bigger. It went up on the Haleiwa restaurant and it wiped out the road at Sunset. It was the biggest surf they’d had in years and we were stuck out there.” I mentioned to Woody that George Downing swears the waves were 40-foot that day, breaking over a shelf in 80 feet of water, and asked him if he thought the estimate was in there.

“Yeah, I think, easy. On the way down, while we were paddling down to Waimea — we got out OK, past the big sets at Sunset, you know. And so we started to paddle down the coast. This guy who was with me, a young kid — he was only around 17 — he was just a gutsy young guy. One of these guys: all guts and nothing up here; just, ‘ummm.'”

“So, we’re paddling down and he keeps workin’ in! I said, ‘Hey!’ Boy, you know, I’m lookin’ as we’re paddling down and I’m saying, ‘Look, the surf is breaking right along a line where we are, ahead of us and behind. We’re right in the line of this break. We better move out more, yet.'”

“‘Nah, nah, nah! That’s alright.'”

“He wouldn’t move out. I could see we were in a boneyard! So, I pulled and said, ‘Well, I’m gonna move out. Come on!’ I went out about a hundred yards further than him and we paddled down like that, side by side.”

“Then what I was afraid might happen did happen. In other words, a set came where we were — a big, tremendous set. Boy, outside of us there was just a step ladder a far as you could see, going uphill. Oh, man! I scratched for all I was worth… You could paddle 10 paddles and you’re still going up the face of the wave. Oh, wow!”

“I got over ’em — I got over all the sets — and I sat down and looked to see where Dickie was, cuz he was inside of me! Boy, I couldn’t see him because the waves were all in the way. And then, the last wave I saw him come over the top and it was so steep, his board and him just flew in the air and came down on the other side. Then he paddled out to me and I said, ‘Dickie, you think you could have lived through that?'”

“He said, ‘Hell no!'”

“So, then I said, ‘How big do you think these waves are out here?’ We agreed we thought they were 60 feet.

“Well, then we kept going down the coast, see,” Woody said, entirely engrossed in retelling the tale, “and he was with me. As we got close to Waimea, he starts coming in, again, see. I said, ‘Hey! Hey! No!’ Cuz we had agreed we’d go out in the middle of the bay, where it was safe, and sit there and watch the sets go by and see what it looked like. Then we could judge where to get in and what. But, no! He starts cutting in, and I hollered at him, ‘Hey, hey, don’t go in there. Let’s go out in the middle!'”

“‘Nah!’ ”

“He just wouldn’t pay any attention. It seemed like it was his time; just like something was calling him, you know? Because, look at how he was acting, eh? Even though he had almost got caught and admitted he couldn’t have lived through it, and still he was cutting in, again. It was just like it was his time to go. I don’t know.”

“Anyway, he cut in… as we went up. When we got to the point, there were 20 foot waves breaking there all the time and then these big sets would come every 10 minutes. So, he was going in and I would see him go up over these swells and come back out off the top. The next one would come and he’d disappear and then I’d see him come up over the top and it looked like he was trying to catch ’em. Yeah, that was the only thing I could think of.”

“Finally, one wave he came up over the top, he’d lost his board. ‘Oh, boy,’ I thought, ‘Oh, gee, two of us on my little cut-down board!’ — I’d cut it down — and I was exhausted. ‘Two guys on one board? What chance do we got, now?’ But, I told him, ‘Come out, come out!’ It sounded like he said, ‘I can’t, Woody, I’m too tired.’ That’s what it sounded like. But then, he started swimming out towards me, so I started paddling in to catch him to pick him up on my board.”

“Well, you know, at a time like that, in that kind of big waves… you’re watching outside all the time, right? Your eye’s out there, cuz you never feel safe. So, I’m paddling in and one eye’s out there and one eye’s on him to pick him up. All of a sudden, his eyes see the darn mountains coming way outside in the blue water, just piling one on top of another, way out there. I turned around and started paddling outside for all I’m worth because I figured if I lose that board, too, then what chance do we got? Two guys swimming, eh?”

“My only chance is to save the only board we got. So, I turn around and I’m paddling out and I’m paddling towards the first one coming in and it keeps coming in, getting bigger and steeper and higher and getting a little white on the top. Well, I saw that I just wasn’t gonna make it — you know — it was just cresting already. And so, just as it came to me, I threw my board and just dove down and headed for the bottom. That’s your only chance in a big wave is to get down in the deep water.”

“I could go 30 feet in those days and I got way, way down in that blue, blue water and, boy, I could feel myself being lifted up and drawn back again. I could see the white water boiling down under me and behind me. I’m 30 feet down and the white water’s still boiling 30 feet down! You couldn’t live through that. I was just lucky I was just out beyond it just enough.”

“I got up to the surface. The next one was coming and I swam like hell toward it. Luckily, they broke in the same place and I dove down and got under it; a whole set, about five of ’em. Then, when they went by, I started looking for Dickie, cuz he’s been inside of me. Oh, boy. I hollered and called and looked, swam around, and there was no more Dickie anywhere. It’s getting dark, now, too! The sun’s just about setting.”

“So, I’m swimming and I think, ‘Well, I’m gonna die, anyway, so I might just as well try to swim in, because, what the hell, I’m dead, anyway, if I’m gonna float around out here.'” Woody removed his trunks to reduce drag and then briefly worried about sharks. “Oh, how ridiculous,” he told me. It was questionable whether he was going to live at all, so why worry about sharks?

“There were no surfers on the North Shore in those days. Nobody knew we were out there and there were no boats. I thought, ‘Hell, I’m dead, anyhow. I’ll do what we said. I’ll swim out to the middle of the bay and I’ll wait and watch the big sets go by and after a big set goes by, then I just try swimming and hope to God I can get in far enough that when another big set comes in I’ll be where it isn’t so big and strong.'”

“And that’s what I did. I was just lucky when the first one came. I’m watching it come, bigger and higher and higher and it broke way outside, maybe 4-5 hundred yards outside of me. I said, ‘Well, maybe I got a chance.’ So, I dove as deep as I could go, again, and I just took the beating; a terrible beating… And when I couldn’t stand anymore — black spots are coming in front of my eyes — I just started heading for wherever it looked lightish color. You know, you didn’t know what was up or down. Wherever it looked kind of a light color, it might look like down, but ‘that’s where I’m headed for.’ And I got my head up!”

“So, I figured, ‘Man, if I lived through this one, I got a chance!’ Cuz each one, I’m getting washed in, eh? So, each time I dove a little less deep and I saw it was washing me in.”

I told him I assumed he was facing out, diving into the wave each time.

“Yeah, you’re watching ’em come. Oh, yeah, sure,” he replied. “So that at the last minute, you dive down before it gets to ya.”

“So, they washed me up on the beach. I was so weak, I couldn’t stand up. I crawled out on my hands and knees and these army guys came running down. The first thing I said to them was, ‘Where’s the other guy?’ They said, ‘Oh, we never saw him after he got wrapped up in that first big wave.’ That was their words. ‘Wrapped up in that first big wave.’ I figured from that, this guy [Dickie] had so much guts, he tried to bodysurf the wave. Because, otherwise he would have dove down. Why didn’t he dive down under it? If he got ‘wrapped up’ meant that he was up in the curl, right? How else would you express it? So, I figured he tried to bodysurf in.”

special thanks to:
for this great Woody Brown interview

8 thoughts on “The story of losing Dickie Cross in big surf at Sunset Beach in Hawaii in 1943

  1. In 1972 I was a beginning assistant professor at the University of Hawaii and an avid sport diver having grown up mostly in Miami. I explored the North shore of Hawaii for swimming and noted the pipeline and Sunset but Waimea had interesting reefs with beautiful tropical fish to see outside the surf season. But good sized waves can come in any time in isolation. One time while skin diving in about 20 feet of water in a “canyon” between two reefs, I came up for air to see about a twenty foot wave just starting to break over head. I immediately dove back down to the bottom and from there I could still feel the power of the passing wave as it pushed me from one side of the canyon to the other. After it passed, I realized how completely dangerous Waimea would be for surfers, as the top of those two reefs were just under the surface of the water. I received my SCUBA certifications in Hawaii that year and also training in dealing with rough water entries and exits. There are many ways to get killed in the rough water around the shores of Hawaii. But surfers are certainly taking the biggest chances.

  2. That was the most incredible story I’ve ever heard. I can’t imagine the extreme exhaustion that both surfers were going through and their will to make it.

    Breathtaking, literally!

  3. Winter 1974, Sunset: lost my board (pre-cords)… swimming in I saw it in the rip, next to a head: someone was holding my board!…got there and no one was there! I sat on my board looking…no one one the beach (getting dark). oh, he’s swimming in underwater?…he never came up…I paddled in worrying about him. I told my friends…they told me it was Dickie, he saves people & boards

  4. Thank you for sharing this information about The story of losing Dickie Cross in big surf at Sunset Beach in Hawaii in 1943. It was useful and interesting. You have done a great job.

  5. I honestly cannot imagine even THINKING of paddling out in giant waves on a frigging HOT CURL board at a break you didn’t know! It gives an entirely new definition to the word “courage” which very likely doesn’t begin to define the desire (different from willingness) to voluntarily venture into life-threatening situations for the purpose of experiencing something that ultimately only YOU care about! Forest firefighters spend countless hours training to MINIMIZE the risk of dying. These early big wave riders accomplished UNBELIEVABLE feats on their hand-made wooden boards!! I’m in TOTAL AWE of their achievements done REGULARLY during giant winter swells!

    I’ve been in only 10’ surf and was thankful to escape the impact zone and get back in! So, guys like Woody, Dickie and Jackie Cross, Wally, Downing, and all the other early big wave riders have a completely different DNA than I do!! Those with giant wave genes say, “Let’s charge it!” Conversely, I’m thinking, “What the hell are you doing out there?? Don’t you have a family to think of?” Is THIS magnitude of danger necessary for you to get your dopamine fix? Is it a peer-pressure thing, where you’re not an equal in your beach-buddy club because you haven’t charged giant surf? Those of you reading this who are thinking, “you don’t understand, KOOK”, are ABSOLUTELY correct to think that…because I OBVIOUSLY haven’t read the expose where all the legendary giant wave riders define why they do it! Maybe it’s so simple as “It’s FUN”!

    Woody mentioned it was as if Dickie’s death was predestined, because the 17 year-old repeatedly disregarded Woody’s commands to paddle further out to escape the impact zone. I’m now 70, NOT 17, so it’s hard for me, after a lifetime of painful lessons to imagine a young person in GIANT surf not heeding the pleas of a more experienced surfer! Was it God’s plan for Beach Boy Woody to survive a FIVE WAVE, repeated dive to the washing machine at THIRTY FEET below the ocean surface to finally get dragged up the beach by Army soldiers who “just happened to be” at Waimea during the time Dickie was caught inside, and Woody was eventually spit onto the beach IN THE DARK almost like Jonah?? Laugh at this old man all you want, mighty wave warriors, but for me…..Woody’s account of that fateful big wave day is MORE than just an amazing surf story!!!

  6. I first heard this story when I was about 13 or 14, & had been surfing only a year or so. This was in ’72 or ’73, in Santa Monica CA. It was from a copy or Surfer Magazine, & it was only like half a page long, & no real details. That said, it totally fascinated me, scared the crap out of me at the same time! Dickie’s & Woody’s story haunted me a little, my whole life, and to finally read this full telling of the tale, & by the man himself…. WOW!!! What a treat! I’m more freaked out now, then when I first read that article in Surfer Mag, so many years ago. RIP Dickie RIP Woody “Spider” Aloha Ohano Brahs!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.